January 2020 Director of Med-Surg
March 2017 Nurse Manager, ICU
March 2016 Nurse Manager, Cardiology
December 2013 Charge Nurse, ICU
November 2010 Staff Nurse, ICU
March 2010 Patient Care Tech, ER
Seton Medical Center Harker Heights is committed to investing in our team. Employees are encouraged to take advantage of professional development opportunities, a robust tuition reimbursement program, continuing education and clinical resources such as Lippincott resources at the bedside. Additionally, incentives are available to help nurses complete ADN-to-BSN and BSN-to-MSN degrees, enhance nursing careers in our hospitals and clinics. Seton is the place to move forward in your career.
Build Your Career
Path to success
January 2020 Director of Med-Surg
Taking the Next Step
As you begin considering “what’s next” in your career, it’s important to take the following steps:
- Write down your professional goals: reflect on where you want to go and your ideal next steps
- Find a mentor or have career conversations with those in your ideal “next step” role to learn more
- Talk with your manager about your career aspirations; bring your ideas, thoughts and questions
- Create a professional development plan to ensure you have identified next steps and goals
- Continue to find ways to add value as a successful employee: demonstrate clear, measurable business results; be open to improve on areas of opportunity and willing to learn
- Track your progress
- If you have taken the steps and are prepared to apply for a new position at BSA, begin your search.
Development Opportunities to Consider
- OneTeam Resource Center
- Women @ Ardent webinars
- Take on new projects or responsibilities
- Attend a workshop, seminar or conference in your area of work
- Take on volunteer opportunities to develop professional skills
- Mentorship, information interviews, job shadowing
- Be open to improve on areas of opportunity and willing to learn
Two Questions to Ask Yourself
Before moving forward, do a short assessment.
- Have you been in your current role more than six months (12 months for bedside RNs)?
- Have you discussed the opportunity for advancement or transferring to a different role with your supervisor and/or Human Resources?
If you have answered yes to both and feel confident that you are prepared to apply for a new position at BSA, begin your search.
Improve Your Résumé
What is a résumé?
A carefully written concise summary of relevant information about your education, experience, skills, qualifications and knowledge as it relates to the position for which you are applying.
What is the reason for a résumé?
It’s a marketing tool for the purpose of getting an interview. It summarizes your related background and helps to structure the interview. In addition, it provides a sample of your organizational and communication skills.
What components are essential in a resume?
- Identifying Information
How is the education section written?
- Put degrees in reverse chronological order
- Type the degree with the major, i.e. Master of Public Health with a concentration in ...
- Type the full name of the university, i.e., University of South Florida, Tampa, FL
- Include the date the degree is expected to be received, not the years attended, i.e., May 2009
How is the employment experience section written?
- Format the headline in this way: Position Title, Employer, City, ST mm/yy - mm/yy
- Each bullet should begin with an action word that summarizes the accomplishment/result/benefit from your experience
- Use present tense verbs for current positions, use past tense for previous positions
- List your bullets from the most to least significant accomplishment/ result/benefit to show the range of skills
- Use the strongest verbs possible and aim for 3 – 5 phrases
- No end punctuation is necessary
Unlock resources available on this website to take your career to new heights. When it is time to explore a growth opportunity, preparation pays off and will help you navigate the journey with confidence. Invest time in the process to ensure you understand the appropriate next steps and present yourself and your experience in the best light to hiring managers. Building a rewarding career within our organization can lead to a satisfying experience in which your work is valued and has purpose. Here are a few ways to utilize resources as you begin looking ahead.
We are more than our work, and we enjoy being involved in our community. It is another way we fulfill our purpose of caring for others. There are a number of ways individuals, teams and our organization gives time and talents to benefit our community, and in the process we have a great time! Community involvement allows us to connect with our neighbors in a meaningful way to promote healthy communities.
It may have been a while since you applied for a position, submitted a resume or interviewed with a hiring manger. Our recruiters and HR teams have organized practical and useful advice for updating your resume and preparing for an interview to help make sure you best represent yourself and your experience. Take advantage of their tips and stand out with a stellar resume and interview style.
Hear from Team Members
Message from our CEO
We have a passion for our purpose of caring for others and hold one another accountable to strive for excellence each day. Each role impacts the lives of patients and their families – from the bedside and beyond. We strongly believe that to have outstanding teams, we must surround ourselves with great talent. I welcome you to explore rewarding career opportunities at Seton Medical Center Harker Heights.
Patrick Swindle, CEO